Monday, December 27, 2010

STRESS!

I am the Michael Jordan of stressing myself out.  As I was getting ready for the holiday season I could feel it creeping up on me, there was a lot going on.  Closing the building, lots of traveling, getting ready for vacation, and then being ready to be back at work.  With the holiday season, finances become stressful...this all begins to pile up and then bang it hits me.  Luckily, for everyone else this happened yesterday when I was completely alone.  Because of the massive blizzard that was about to erupt in the northeast, I got up and left the ville (Lakeville) much earlier than planned to get back into the city.  Alivia and I were suppose to be flying out Monday morning so I wanted to make sure that I got back in case the weather got bad...which it did, flight was cancelled and we now leave Tuesday!

I started to find myself getting annoyed on the commuter rail, for no real reason.  I got back to my apartment and watched the Patriots game half heartedly (even though they were closing out the AFC East and the top seed in the AFC!).  I, then preceded to completely break myself down in the gym...I was in their for a solid 90 minutes and tried to tire myself out so much that I wouldn't be able to focus on really anything.  However, all that really did was get my brain moving faster than it already was...CUE THE SNOW





I took this time to just go hang out in the snow.  The snow was not very conducive to snowball making, snowman making, or really anything.  But I can't begin to explain how peaceful it was...to be on a totally empty college campus, standing in the middle of the quad just taking in the scene.  Emmanuel is a beautiful campus anyways, but the snow just made it look majestic.  I must have been out there for over an hour accompanied by only my headphones and the occasional plow, who probably thought I was mental.  
Returning from the gym and the snow, I was at this point wiped out.  The campus soon after lost power and I was left with Samuel Adams in the bongos.  A dangerous combination if anyone else was left in the building...luckily for me and for the rest of the building, I was alone. I rocked out for a good half hour and when all was said and done I realized this; I need to only stress about the things that I can control.  There are so many things that are out of my hands that I get myself so worked up about...I need to take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the ride.  Maybe the cancelled flight to Vegas, the extra day in Boston, and the insane blizzard happened for a reason.  May be a bit self-centered to think all of those things happened so I can realize to chill out...well I'm just glad I benefited from the storm. 

3 comments:

  1. Everything happens for a reason...I'm glad you found it in all that was going on yesterday!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I love that you have this song playing. It's one of my favorites, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blog Mike! this is the kind of stuff i was mentioning earlier about blogging. glad u r making it ur own.

    a person that i know also gave me the same advice about the things I can and cannot control -lets hope i can follow his advice.

    and that white guy in the pic above looks just like you and your office.

    ReplyDelete